Wednesday 25 January 2012

Heartbeatgoa.memories -Silviano BarbosaToronto, Canada

My friend Nobby called me the other day and said 'I lovethis Konkani U-Pod, "Under My Mama"'. I said, "What are you talking about? I know you don't evenknow a word of Konkani, even though your grand-parents came from Goa. What'sthis U-Pod? Is it like an I-Pod?" Nobby said his Dad told him it is a type of old folk song from Goa. Then I asked "Then why would a Konkani folk song be titled inEnglish?" 'I don't know', Nobby said. Then it dawned on me. "Oh, now I get it", I said "Arrereddia.." Why do you call me 'Radio?' Nobby asked. "Ai Saiba! Reddia means English Buffalo. Nevermind, You better learn at least some elementaryKonkani to complement your wide knowledge of other languages such as English,French and Swahili. Then you can call yourself a Proud Goan." "I know, I know." Nobby interjected,"So tellme about the U-Pod "Under My Mamma". Besides I do know a word of Konkani"Forty three-Tea" "What? Forty-three Tea? What's that? I know 'Tea' means'cha' but what is Forty Three got to do with Konkani? " I asked. "Ok. So it's not'tea' but 'cha'. But that's what every Goan here calls the other Goan - "Hey 43-cha". "Ok, gotcha! NowI know you know only Konkani swear-words. What else do you know inKonkani?" I asked. "I know pulau, sorpatel, dukra mass, caju fenni, VivaGoa. Now you tell me about that U-pod, please." "Okay, Arre Baba, It's not U-pod. It's"Dulpod" I added. "And it's not 'Under My Mamma', It's Undir Mujea mama!'I said. "Oh I see andwhat does that mean?" Nobby questioned. It goes something like this,literally - "Oh Microsoft Mouse, My Uncle, and I am telling you . Don't you play-i withthe kittie cat-u". "You mean Bill Gates wrote that song?" Nobby asked. "No, Tuj Pai-n. Arre Baba I strongly recommend to Goans like you, a new Konkani Song Book , "GreatestKonkani Song Hits" by Goanetter and author Francis Rodrigues. It has the realtranslation in English that rhymes, not like the one above. Besides musical notes, background, anecdotes, DVD, etc. And it is quite educational, well researched, entertaining and sure to be a part of our Goan culture, heritage and legacy." "U-pod Under My Mamma? Oh God!, She, loz Baba!Inglez Goenkar!" I whispered to myself and laughed. Silviano BarbosaToronto, Canada@ Copywright 2009-07-10

No comments: